Retire-At-Home Services in Greater Edmonton now offers a customized program for our clients with Alzheimer’s disease and Dementia. We provide client-focused care and train our employees so that clients and their families are properly cared for. We provide these services wherever you may reside, whether its in the comfort of your home, in a retirement setting, or in a LTC facility.
Research has shown that cognitive stimulation therapy (CST) reduces the risks of cognitive impairments caused by diseases like dementia and Alzheimer’s. Studies also show that regular practice of CST leads to higher levels of mental activity, which slows the progression of dementia.
What Is Fit Minds?
Fit Minds® is a personalized CST program that has its roots in neuroplasticity. Designed for individuals with degenerative neurological diseases, Fit Minds® interactive brain exercise program challenges clients to stretch their brain capacity and strengthen their cognitive reserve.
- Provides complex and unique challenges that build brain resilience through social settings.
- Focuses on all five areas of cognition to help foster brain health overall.
- Promotes brain health in both healthy people and people with dementia.
Benefits To Our Clients
The five areas of cognition are covered, including:
- Language and Music
- Visual/Spatial Orientation
- Critical Thinking
In addition to the five areas of cognition, difficult behaviours caused by dementia, as well as their root causes are addressed. The program strives to improve cognitive ability and the client’s quality of life through non-pharmacological means.
Each session is delivered by one of our certified caregivers. We believe human connection is the key to brain health. Furthermore, our caregivers conduct ongoing assessments to track the client’s progress and develop new session plans.
Fit Minds Programs
Interact® Individual Program – Person-Centered Care
The Interact® Individual program is a personalized CST program for those suffering with dementia or another degenerative neurological disease.
The goal of Interact® Individual is to slow the progression of the disease, while allowing individuals to remain social and maintain their quality of life.
Each session builds on one another and covers the five areas of cognition. As the client’s interests and abilities change, the sessions can be customized to their preferences.
Each session can be accessed through an online portal, printed off, and used by the client during their session. The program is lead by a certified Fit Minds® Cognitive Coach and is available in both English and French.
Stay Sharp™ Program – Keep Engaged Stay Sharp™
This CST group program is designed for social individuals in retirement communities, as well as active professionals. The Stay Sharp™ Program encourages cognitive resilience and better brain fitness for healthy seniors, while fostering a social, interactive environment .
The program includes:
- a new session plan and download activities every week (52 in the year)
- a brain health lifestyle® challenge every week
- a kit (customized cards and tote bag
- ongoing access to training portal for an unlimited number of staff.
Delivered in a group setting, Stay Sharp™ builds community by encouraging human interaction. The program is currently available in English and French.
Interact® Group Program – Build Connections
The Interact® Group program is a CST program designed for professional caregivers working in assisted living and long term care homes.
The program includes:
- four new session plans and activity downloads per week (two of the session plans are aimed at mild to moderate cognitive impairments [Empowerment sessions] and the other two are aimed at moderate to severe cognitive impairments [Maintenance sessions]);
- a kit (customized cards, game boards and tote bag;
- ongoing access to training portal for unlimited number of staff.
The Interact Group program provides essential face time – a key element for reducing anxiety and depression.