Questions to Consider and Common Mistakes to Avoid When Choosing a Home Care Provider
5 Mistakes you should avoid when choosing home care:
If you are shopping for home care, you have most likely experienced an emergency, whether because of an injury or illness. When you aren’t informed about home care, and don’t know what questions you should be asking, choosing a provider can be very stressful. Retire-At-Home is here to help.
Here are 5 mistakes you should avoid when choosing a home care provider:
Mistake #1: Although Canada has universal healthcare, there aren’t many subsidies for home care. Ask your doctor whether you are covered, so you don’t have to pay out of pocket. Mistake #2: Though your loved one may require care, that doesn’t mean they will accept it. At Retire-At-Home Edmonton, we are used to facing resistance from our clients at first. Luckily, with the right approach, we can overcome this resistance. Ask your potential home care provider what they will do to ease the transition into home care, and how they will manage resistance. Mistake #3: Some home care providers aren’t managed by registered nurses. This can be detrimental for your loved one’s health. Ensure that your home care provider is experienced, and that they have nurses supervising the care that is provided. When your loved one’s needs increase, you want to make sure you have the right people managing their care. Mistake #4: Don’t hire a private caregiver. Though it may seem easier and cheaper, the risks involved are simply too high. Thousands of documented cases of abuse and theft are related to private care. Don’t hire caregivers through Craigslist or other similar sites. They don’t go through the same credential checks that a home care provider requires, nor do they receive the ongoing training and supervision required to properly care for your loved one. Mistake #5: Consider the value of the service before the price. While price is an important decision when choosing home care, it is also critical that your provider has registered nurse supervision, that they meet national standards, and that they are properly insured. The right home care provider will design a care plan that meets your needs as well as your budget. .
Questions to consider when selecting a Home Care provider in Edmonton, Sherwood Park and St. Albert:
- What services do you provide?
- Do I need a referral from my doctor?
- How long is the wait between my initial request for service and their first home visit.
- Is there a minimum charge?
- Does my private insurance cover the cost of your service?
- Are you an accredited healthcare service?
- Are your caregivers trained? What levels of education or experience do they have?
- Are your health care providers insured?
- Are there nurses with specialized training in certain diseases or injuries?
- Will a caregiver be permanently assigned to me, or will there be a new caregiver each time?
- Can your caregivers be called in on short notice? Is there an extra charge?
- Can you provide your services on holidays or after normal business hours?
- Who should I call in case of emergency, even after-hours?
Contact Us To Speak with a Home Care Specialist!
Warning: imagepng(/home/r1a2h3m4/public_html/wp-content/uploads/gravity_forms/0-63901bf6c3dfd010d20e83bd70f3c0db/510359531.png): failed to open stream: Disk quota exceeded in /home/r1a2h3m4/public_html/wp-content/plugins/really-simple-captcha/really-simple-captcha.php on line 144